As part of AUSD requirements for promotion to high school, students must complete a portfolio. This process is documented on this page. In addition, there are resources here for students and families to understand the expectations.
ACADEMIC ARTIFACT REFLECTION
Each trimester students in all grade levels are to reflect on work completed in that trimester in each class. As they reflect they can use these questions to help build their portfolio. Each student will present 3 academic artifacts during their 8th grade interview.
- Artifact Reflection for the _________________________ Project
- What were the Understanding Goals for this project?
- What were all the steps involved from start to finish?
- What do you think you did best when you participated in this project?
- What were your biggest challenges?
- If you were to do this project again, what would you do differently?
- What strengths do you think you displayed as you worked on this project?
- What did you learn while participating in this project?
- What Studio Habits of Mind did you use most in this project, and how did you use them?
- How did this project help answer the grade level throughline question?
- 6th Grade: How do my choices affect me, my family and my community?
- 7th: : How do we connect to a larger world?
- 8th Grade: How does Collaboration Facilitate Growth?
PERSONAL ARTIFACT REFLECTION
Use these questions when reflecting on the personal artifacts that you add to your website and use for the 8th grade interview. Each student will present 2 personal artifacts during their 8th grade interview.
- What skill or technique did you learn through this activity? (Develop Craft)
- Did you ever feel out of your comfort zone and have to work through that in this activity? (Engage and Persist)
- When did you come into contact with a field, an idea or a discipline that you were previously unfamiliar with in this activity? (Understand Community)
- What did you do during this activity that you had never done before? (Stretch and Explore)
- At what point during the activity did you look at something or some idea very closely? (Observe)
- What was something in the activity that really resonated or that you remember really well. Describe. (Reflect)
- What is something that you improved through this activity? (Reflect)
- How were you able to communicate your feelings, views, or experience in this activity? (Express)
- What images did you come up with to represent your work in this activity? (Envision)
PORTFOLIO WEBSITE EXAMPLE
2022 Student Interviews will be happening on May 20th from 1- 3pm.
Students are expected to dress professionally, bring elements of their artifacts and have a completed website to refer to.
HOW TO BUILD YOUR PORTFOLIO WEBSITE
Watch this video for how to create your website in Google Sites.
Watch this video for how to use your phone to add photos and videos to Google Drive
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN HOW TO SHARE GOOGLE DRIVE FILES YOU PUT ON YOUR WEBSITE
If there are files on your website that after you publish others cannot see you need to change the Google Drive file share settings. Watch here to learn more about that.
GOOGLE DRIVE AND GOOGLE SITES
Each student can keep their work in a grade level folder in their Google Drive.
What is Google Drive?
- Do you have a grade level folder in your Drive?
- Do you have a reflection from your classes for each trimester?
- Did you take pictures of your work or of you working throughout the process?
- Did you take video of your work or your working throughout the process?
- Have you connected any of your thinking to the grade level throughline?
- How are you keeping track of what you have learned?
- What is documentation?
WHAT IS THE PORTFOLIO?
Beyond the expectation of the school district that all 8th graders participate in this experience before moving onto high school, we want our students to do the following:
- Demonstrate how they have grown as learners during their time at Wood Middle School by
- Interviewing with a panel of teachers
- Bringing physical elements to artifacts for use in the interview
- Create a website that includes
- 2 Personal Artifacts on the homepage
- At least 1 artifact on the 6th grade page
- At least 1 artifact on the 7th grade page
- At least 3 artifacts on the 8th grade page